Sunday, December 03, 2006

Today I got the opportunity to personally experience the well-known kiasu-ism that exist in all Singaporeans.

My father and I set off at 9.45am in his taxi towards Expo, knowing very well that the carpark lots there would be filled up very quickly. True enough when we reached there, the digital signboard at the entrance showed that besides carparks F and G, all the rest from A to H were full, although Sitex only opened at 11am. Many more people streamed in from the MRT station, bus stop and taxi stand.

Security guards were at the doors to allow the staff in while keeping the rest out. Over at Hall 3, a small but slowly increasing crowd was present, which I later found out, had the same destination in mind as us.

At first my father and I were standing by the side, but as the crowd started gathering at the door, all looking as if they were cannibals eager to eat up the two old men, we had no choice but joined in the crowd as well. A couple beside me were in whispers and pointing to the booth everyone was aiming for, which I guessed was one telling the other where to go, without letting others hear it. Typical Singaporean behaviour. Haha.

They decided to let us in earlier, at 1045am, because they knew very well we were going in to the same booth to queue.

Once the two old men gave the signal, it was war!

Those right at the front of the crowd immediately started running! Those at the back, unwilling to lose out, started pushing those in front. All 形象 were gone! Fight! The important thing then was to get to as front the queue as possible. There were two queues, one for signing new contracts, the other for re-contracting.

I maintained my image haha. We only walked briskly towards the booth. I saw the queue that said "New contract", but the next moment I saw the one we need, the one that said "Recontract".

There was not all! Some bastards cut queue! The queue lines they set up were those poles with tight straps connecting them, so some people simply crawled through them. #$@! But I took comfort that the one who ended up behind me through queue cutting was not a Singaporean. And he came to the wrong queue, joining the queue for recontracting when he wanted to sign a new one. While he did not receive his punishment because they still handled his new contract, it did gave him quite a scare initially, because by the queue was very long. Haha.

We were among the first thirty people in the queue. Still we waited almost an hour to get the contract signed.

And all we got in the "sure-win" lucky draw is a dumb set of four dumb magnets, in the shape of the green fat pipe that they claim they have. Real dumb. I can't think of any use for those. Seriously they should have put up more practical things like pen or something. Even underwear would have been more useful than those magnets.

Actually the sole purpose of going there even before it opened and willingly queuing up for so long was neither because of the lucky draw, nor because of the $40 Sakae Sushi voucher, but because of the $150 HP discount voucher which I can use it on the computer upgrades.

It will not come so soon, so I have to wait.

No comments: