Friday, March 30, 2007

Oh great. I can't get any linux installed on this computer.

After many days of procrastination I finally decided to get myself to work today. Hooked up my spare hard disk, formatted everything inside, and popped in the first cd of my Fedora Core 5.

To my utmost surprise a bunch of garbage text appeared, after all the initial booting. After trying a few more times to ensure its no freak accident, I went to try it on an old computer, and it worked. Suspected the error has something to do with my SATA hard disk, because the last thing it was loading before it hanged was some "sata_sil drivers", so I combed the Internet to see if anyone else have the same problem as me.

Found one here. Exactly the same except I only had 2 lines of garbage text and not one entire screen of them. But the help did not seem helpful.

Decided to try Ubuntu instead. Downloaded v6.10, burnt it to a cd, and tried it out. I was not expecting any problems with Ubuntu because I have v5.04, and the live cd worked when I tried it earlier on.

Surprise surprise, halfway through loading it hanged. Again I suspect its the hard disk.

So now I am back using the v5.04 live cd, typing this entry out. Very interesting to see that an old version works while newer ones don't. Maybe I am too noob to know why.

Have not decided what my next course of action will be. Most probably I will install this v5.04. Wonder if updates are still available for it. Either that or I disable the SATA controller, which I have no idea how and don't wish to because I don't like the feeling of something missing.

Or I physically plug out the SATA cable.

No comments: