Saturday, March 17, 2007

I am going to make sure that next Tuesday will be my last day. I have had enough.

Everyday I reach the store to get scolded by the colleague doing the morning shift because I arrived on time. (I'm supposed to reach early to take over her, so she can go home earlier. Then she herself can arrive like half an hour after her working hours started.) Then every night I always have to wait well past my working hours for the one doing the overnight shift to take over from me, because they always come late.

Then there are times like today when the person taking over me did not even come, so I had to wait till 1am for someone from another store to come and relieve me. I was told 1am, so I told me father to fetch me home at 1am. Then i waited till 1.15am, before I decided to call that store if that person was coming. At 1.15am he was at his store saying he was going to come.

So by the time he reached, and checked that everything was in place, and I was allowed to go, it was already 2am. My father, having wasted an hour waiting for me, was angry, scolding me and saying I should not have asked him to come at 1am if I was not allowed to go at 1am.

Coincidentally, the area manager called some time after midnight, and was surprised I was alone and from the afternoon shift and was waiting for someone from another store to relieve me. So he asked why the store always seemed so short of staff.

I think I should be the one asking why the bloody store is so short of staff. I, a bloody part-timer, is working a bloody full six days a week. I had already asked to quit last week, but because the auntie colleague was going back to Malaysia, she asked me to help my boss out another week, which I agreed on her account. (I had actually anticipated this from earlier experience, which is why I asked to quit at an earlier date; to allow for a buffer)

I could not argue with the area manager, because a customer came halfway through the conversation. When I picked up the phone again he was gone, and he never called back. Luckily he didn't. I was going to erupt then.

I clearly asked my boss if this week would be my last week, and she agreed. Then yesterday she smsed me (wah, don't even dare to face me) to ask me help out another week. 也是她说,过了这个礼拜我就不用做了,现在她又叫我做多一个礼拜。好咯,什么都是她说,我什么都不用说了。

I rejected her immediately, saying I can at most help out one or two days. Today's schedule came out, and I was scheduled to work next Monday and Tuesday, after which from Wednesday onwards, the auntie colleague will be back.

In the past few days at least three people have applied for a job in the store, with another two (one of them is ex staff I think) applying today. But I still don't see their names anywhere in the schedule, which I wondered why. I still remembered in my case, I was asked to turn up for work immediately the following day, after I applied. Why can't they do that?

This work has made me realise just how inconsiderate people can be towards others. They can pass you a cash register without a single $10 bill and leaving you to die in hell when a customer passes you a $50 bill for a New Paper, because they have already knocked off and don't care how you are going to survive eight hours with nothing but only $50 bills and 5cents coins in your register.

They can happily sit in the storeroom reading magazines munching on hot piping sandwiches while you are outside at the counter placing a customer's purchases into plastic bags, mental calculating how much change to give back, apologising to another customer's enquiry why there are no more Gulp cups left, and getting panicked because the queue was reaching the door.

So now that I finished this bloody post its already 3.15am, just as I finished my dinner/breakfast/supper.

No comments: