The word "Fire Drill" was non-existant in my mind until today, when a fire cum evacuation drill was held to see if people can run for their lives fast enough in a real fire.
At 3pm, the fire alarm went "RRIINNG!", twice. Because money making > everything else, only my boss went to gather at the assembly point, while the rest of us remained in the store, business as usual.
So at the end of the drill (I have knocked off by then), all I saw was a couple of Civil Defence vehicles and officials. I still don't know where to run to if an actual fire occurs, but unless one happens within this two weeks, I guess there is no need for me to know.
After work I went down to Suntec for the IT show, with the primary purpose of getting a new pair of earphones. Walked around, besides the Sony and Microsoft booths screaming their Playstation 3 and Vista, everything else is about the same as previous shows.
I believe that the Playstation 3 is overrated.
Specs-wise, the PS3 is impressive. Cell Broadband Engine, G80 graphics core, Blu-ray, full HD support. All sounded great. But the gameplay has somehow stayed the same. Flagship games like Resistance: Fall of Man and Ridge Racer 7 seem no different from any other first person shooter or racing game out there. Its still big bad monsters running towards you with its fangs open wide open ready to eat you up, and you using that super duper ultra ultimate laser atomic nuclear explosive machine gun to kill them. Or you controlling a powerful nitrous powered R34 STi Evo 206 306 911 995 999 RX CXX XXX Concept Rally WRC GT chasing the opponent down twisted repetitive tracks round and round and round, who, using the old 1cc turtle beetle tortoise, can, for some reason, still run faster than you.
Sure the gaming experience has improved. One can drift that tofu shop's AE86 round a bend at 1, 000, 000 km/h while the screen stays fixed at 30fps without lagging (I personally witnessed that). Perhaps now the monsters get smarter and all count 1 2 3 and blast you together instead of one by one so you die a faster death.But its still the same old objectives of killing all the baddies and save the day or winning all the races and becoming the race king. Sooner or later people will lose interest in gaming.
Nintendo came up with a great idea in the Wii remote. A personal opinion as a step in the right direction. I think that games are not simply about how faithfully they follow the laws of physics or how (eeringly) close they look like real life objects. Its also about how innovative the objectives are.
Then again, the PS3 is still in the early stages, so (again) I need not comment so much. Perhaps precisely with the cutting edge hardware the PS3 have the resources to support future gaming innovations.
Maybe there is something wrong with my eyes, but I don't see any difference between playing games or watching tv on a conventional television and on high definition capable ones.
I believe the Vista is overrated too, but never mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment