Sunday, April 16, 2006

I know I should be studying, but i still took out some time to try out the Fedora Core 5 i downloaded not too long ago.


Don't you think its beautiful? Haha. Actually the login screen is even more beautiful, but I couldn't get a screenshot of it.

The setup process is much more user-friendly and easier to apprehend than the Core 3 setup. Everything is laid out neatly and complicated details are removed. But then, perhaps they have removed too many things.

The new layout is a pleasant surprise. The new design and logo are cool looking. However, the functions are still pretty much the same as in Core 3.


Above: The loading screen after logging in.

Since Core 5 is optimised for Pentium 4 computers and I installed it on a Pentium 3, it can't help but was abit slow. But the speed is still acceptable overall, even slightly faster, in my opinion, when compared to Core 3.

I spent abit of time today trying to mount my Windows hard disk onto it, so I can access the Windows hard disk from Core.

Haha.

Of course its not without its problems. After mounting the Windows hard disk on Core, the login screen and a mstask error keeps appearing when i use Windows, and apparently there's no Flash player that supports Firefox 1.5/ Fedora Core 5 combo. Website text was a problem until I imported fonts in from Windows. Even then, there's still a problem with the formatting.

Whatever it is, Fedora Core 5 will be here to stay, in my computer. Haha.

I shall end this entry with an image. Have you ever seen text-based Internet browsing?

No comments: