Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Finally today, I'm sitting on the cupboard with my back resting against the window.

Last year around this time, i was a quiet individual sitting on the chair at a corner, watching my peers giving speeches why we should choose them to be in the exco.

Now, I'm one of the seniors in the room, listening to juniors giving their speeches on why they should be in the exco.

The reason why I did not apply for any post in the exco is simply because I cannot lead a bunch of people. That fateful day back in Sec 3 when my seniors arrowed me to be the President, I quietly accepted the role. Thinking back, I should have rejected it. For I may just be the reason causing the downfall of the computer club.

Finally, after 2 struggling years, I had stepped down. When I got into VJC and eventually picked iCOMP as my CCA, I had decided that I will not take up any exco post again. I have already caused enough trouble.

Thankfully, in my peers there existed someone capable enough to lead a cca, and iCOMP is still going strong today. The exco was a perfect combo. Technical skills, communications skills, Leadership skills, organisational skills, you name it, they have it.

However, this new batch of juniors leaves much to be desired. While its a bumper batch this year, with record number of people joining iCOMP (all thanks to the principal), their technical skills are far from standard. In their speeches, and the interviews made in the past 2 days, most were commenting how they have no technical skills, but instead having the passion to lead the club blah blah etc.

Ok, its true technical skills are not the most important skills one needs to be in the exco. But one cannot know nothing about computers and want to be the exco of a computing club! How can a president lead a nation if he cannot speak the people's language?

I personally believe that one must have the technical skills. It is very very very important. Sigh.

On the other hand, there are some with the skills, but they lack all the other skills needed to be an exco member. At least they didn't protray that during their speeches and interviews.

I see myself in them.

Of course, I'm not going to overturn the entire ship. There are people with qualities required to lead a computing club.

I usually don't believe in interviews and speeches, because I believe that one should not be judged by first impression. I just can't help but feel a little worried how they are going to take over when the seniors have retired. Seriously, i dunwan to see yet another cca collapse.

Hopefully, things will change as they start to know the seriousness of leading a cca like iCOMP, and not follow in my footsteps.

No comments: