Thursday, April 27, 2006

Elections is here!

Before I begin, I know that I'm not supposed to blog anything that indicates my support of any party or candidate, so I shall not name names ya?

Not that I support any political party though. For now.

On the other hand, if I have broken any rules, please let me off on account that I am only 18 years old ok? Haha.

I'm looking forward to the Elections, not because I want to know who will win (argh, I'm not saying I'm politically apathetic. Why should I know who will win since I can't vote now? Don't worry I will vote carefully when the time comes), but because it adds excitement to my otherwise boring monotonous life. Haha.

I would have looked forward to it even more if they have assigned my college to be one of the Nomination Centres, instead of the primary school a few roads down. It could have been a holiday for me!

The only memories I had for GE 2001 were the lorries that went round my house carpark screaming dialects at us to vote for...I forgot who, then accompanying my mother to the school behind my house and looking at I-forgot-what noticeboard while my mother voted, and lastly watching the news and seeing the ruling party with all smiles and happiness at the stadium.

I was only in Sec1 then.

Now having fully grown into a "young adult", I am slightly more aware of what's happening around me, and so, finally making sense about the importance of elections.

What a politically correct answer =X

This time round the opposition party is definitely more prepared, with more united fronts, clearer goals, and better presentation. The ruling party isn't slacking either, sticking faces of new candidates on my newspapers almost everyday and seeing the same three letters over and over again.

ME. A so-called new generation citizen. Personally, just like fellow other new generation citizens, I think that it will be better if more opposition get elected into Parliament, so Parliament sittings will be more exciting and we may even see them pulling each other's hair and throwing punches and kicks all over!

Lol. Just kidding.

I guess opposition parties can be a watchdog in the government to ensure that they are indeed corruption-free and more goodies will come our way. After all, we have been taught that competition will bring out the best in us isn't it so? Therefore if there is more competition in Parliament, our wishes of having more holidays and less homework may come true earlier!

Yet, I can't help but agree that there is still some way before our opposition can reach the first-class status. There seems to be a lack in eagerness and enthusiasm in helping us the citizens. Perhaps they are highly controlled by the government, they cannot make their voices and opinions known. I can see that they have really made alot of efforts in trying to form good teams and fight for the welfare of the citizens, but they seem to be more engrossed in trying to topple the ruling party rather than serving the people.

"If you truly want to serve the people, you don't have to be in Parliament to do so." -- me

What a sucky quote.

Of course, I can't accept people who hurl abuses at their competitors. I do admire their courage (Not many people dare to scold the government in their face leh!) , but admiration =/= support.

Still, the ruling party should be careful not to get too complacent. They can't really win people's votes if they shake our hands and offer to build some mechanical blocks that stop every 10m upwards only when Elections is coming.

Then again, I (and my parents I guess) find the Lift Upgrading Programme which was recently offered to us too attractive to resist. Got lift stop outside my floor leh. It sounds so good lol.

Opinions aside, this time round all the parties and candidates are very fast leh. Immediately after the Nomination thingy they are already trooping all over town hanging up banners and killing poor little grass as they plunged sharp-ended flags into the ground. There are already some on the grass patch in front of my house, and a few more across the road.

Good luck to the candidates; may the best men win.

A very neutral entry huh? Haha.

If you have inferred from the tone of my entry that I am someone who treats the Elections like a game, please take note I'm not. I do visit websites belonging to the various parties and read their manifestos, understanding what they are doing at the very least.

Email me at brotherhoodofnod24@hotmail.com if I have typed something that I shouldn't have typed. I will answer to it asap. (I'm socially responsible ok!)

No comments: