After spending almost the entire week last week at the NDP floating platform helping out with AHM, its finally over.
We the new signallers were stationed in the AHM command post, the main nerve centre where all orders and information went through. My work wasn't exactly that tough actually, perhaps because of my rank haha. Mostly I just helped carry stuff around, swept, cleaned, and did and printed charts. Most of the time was spent doing nothing, or playing with the family of cats haha.
The eve of the Big Day was the busiest of the week. Upon reaching there at 9pm we helped set up a function room for officers' and VIPs' wives and children, which involved shifting sofas and coffee tables around. Then I pasted posters around the place.
The remaining night was spent standing next to the charts pasted on the walls in the command post, updating the charts as road closures and setting up of waterpoints, medical posts and ambulance posts came into effect. The room was almost exactly a scene of a war room haha, where all the walkie talkies screamed at the same time.
By the time the run started in the morning I was already very tired, since I never slept at all, and the many cups coffee I drank did not help.
Being in the command post meant I could see almost everything that happened during the run. I saw the complaints from the public and the hotels on the noise pollution, the updates of people being hospitalised, and yes, the death as well.
We waited for the event to be over, tore everything down and sent them back to camp.
Now that its over I can no longer go home on weekday nights, have my lunch and dinner at Marina Square, and no longer work in a place outside camp. Life will be back to normal when I report back to camp later.
No comments:
Post a Comment