Saturday, August 04, 2007

Last monday was radio exercise, and while other platoons get to travel to various parts of Singapore in their exercises, ours was held in different parts of the camp. I was quite disappointed actually, but I guess the purpose of the exercise was to learn, and I did learn quite a bit.

Wednesday was my first ever guard duty, and I did prowling with my friend. Time passed fast, but it was tiring walking up and down the slopes and stairs.

Inside the guardroom I couldn't help but noticed a plaque which stated that the guardroom was 2nd position for the "Army most courteous guardroom", although that was many years ago. I am rather amused, because I wonder to what extent courteous can a guardroom be.

"Good morning! Welcome to x Camp! How may I be of service to you?"
"Will you please take out your camp pass and show it to me? Thank you for your cooperation!"
"Please raise up both hands and place them behind your head, and squat down, so that we can arrest you. Thanks!"
"Please put down your weapon or I will have to shoot you. Sorry for the inconvenience!"

That particular morning many people were coming into my camp to take their IPPT, so they needed to get camp passes from the guardroom. In that case...

"Thank you and have a nice day! May you pass your IPPT with flying colours!"

One night we ordered fast food from a particular fast food chain, and it was a rather big order. When the delivery came they missed out my burger, and they promised to come back with it. In the end they took one hour to deliver, and I had to force it down my throat in half darkness in my bunk, because it was past lights out.

Two platoons have completed their course and passed out, and next week another platoon will be doing so. The place's getting quieter.

Awaiting me in the coming week is four tests and preparation for my last exercise.

No comments: