Sunday, August 19, 2007

Thankfully the day has been very peaceful so far, so I guess nothing should happen until next week.

My (then) platoon back at SI has created a little uproar, because we were trained to do what is not required by the units, and in our respective units we are told to do what we were not trained in. Emails are flying around to gather support, and our course commander promised to look into it.

Frankly speaking I had not expected this little unhappiness among my platoon mates. The same problem happened to me too, but I thought that me a lowly Private should just accept whatever is given to me, so I had just resigned to my fate. Haha perhaps I have sat on the fence too much that I lack my personal stand. Now that the big shots are looking into it, I give my support as well. Its not about retifying our problem; its ensuring that the same problem does not occur in future batches.

My eight week stay at SI has been quite an interesting one. During my stay I experienced the complex relationships that exist among human beings. Haha ok its not that chim, but I saw for myself how the superiority complex that some people have can make them think they can push the 'lowly' beings around, casting out all forms of respect we should have towards each other.

Extending my point I also saw how people who behave differently from the rest of us are being ostracised and made fun of. Indeed, there seem to be a certain formula to which all of us are expected to be adhering to, and those who do not follow that standard formula are declared abnormal, and frequently becomes the butt of jokes. Interestingly this formula is the formula just because the majority acts this way, so again this superiority complex descriminates the minority.

I need to say that I am no saint, but a ordinary human being just like anyone else, so there are times I couldn't help but laugh along too. There are times I get fed up too. But I think there is no need to say it squarely in his face that he is stupid.

There is a need for a compromise somewhere sometimes I think.

On a less serious note there were times I enjoyed myself. The platoon as a whole, especially my bunkmates, were all pretty easy to get along with. I enjoyed reading all the comic books my friend brought, and playing the card games with others. In fact I was more upset leaving SI than compared to leaving Tekong.

Unforgettable also, of course, was the female toilet at the first storey of the accommodation block. Two groups of prowlers from my platoon heard the doors inside slamming repeatedly when they walked past during their prowls. It didn't happened to me, (un)fortunately. After this news came out, a whole lot of ghost stories from Tekong to SI was told by fellow platoonmates.

In my new unit I am allocated to a bunk (literally) full of PSPs, which I have no idea whether its a permanent or a temporary one. But I expect myself to be ostracised soon, since I did not follow the majority and get a PSP myself. Hmm.

Not long ago I had installed a fan on the side panel of my computer, and it used to be a intake fan. I turned it around now so it becomes an exhaust fan, and I think it is working wonders in bringing down the temperature of the system. I am considering drilling more holes on the side panel so I can add another fan to bring out the hot air coming out from my graphics card, and it shall be on hold for now.

I've ran out of things to say. Till the next time. It will be a long week.

No comments: