Post-birthday entry!
Rounding up, i received ~30 smses (I have a friend who sent me an sms but I didn't receive it, so i use a appox value la hor)
Some interesting smses I have received:
1) Hey the nation celebrates qing wei's birthday!
-- -.-'''
2) Congrats! You're finally 18 n can watch m18 movie le.
-- Haha who wants to join me? =D
3) Stay lame! x2
-- I wonder what wrong have I done that my friends want to curse me to lose a limb. Haix.
4) you first good deed turning 18 will be to give this equally gd friend a massage =P
-- -.-'''
5) i lk forward to seeing ur face in 50yrs' time on the cover of some bigshot magazine.
-- (Haha i told my friends to do look out for me in 50 years time on the cover of last issue of Time
magazine as their Person of the Year.) Well i too look forward to seeing my face in 50yrs' time on the
cover of some bigshot magazine.
6) May sharks b wif u... (and later in a second sms, SHARK UNITE!!!)
-- -.-'''
7) Wah lao, nv tell us today, or not whole of icomp can celebrate for u!
-- That's precisely what I don't want! With a crazy chairman and crazy vice chairman and crazy video
head I'm afraid I cant step out of school alive!
8) you're of legal age to club now.
-- Ahh....who wants to join me? =D
I have collected all my friends' wishes. Hopefully this year will really be a good year for me.
******************************
I spent a little bit of time thinking about my future. Looked through some brochures I have gotten from the NUS open house and I still have not decided what I wanted. I have quite a few problems:
Problem 1: Local or overseas?
I'm a typical Singaporean who thinks that there's a better future to studying in overseas universities. Haha. But the major problem stopping me from thinking of going overseas is $$$$$. Overseas is darn expensive, near to the point of me pointing a knife at my parents forcing them to sell the house. So if I were to go overseas, the only way is to get a scholarship. That shall bring me to Problem 2.
If I do go overseas, I will have to think of which university to go to. That I put aside first.
So no money, (most probably) no scholarship, so how? Stay in Singapore lor. In Singapore there are 3 universities to choose from. I'm not considering UNSW, although its near my house the school fees will mean pointing knife at parents again.
Most prob I won't consider the one in town too, so that leaves me with the remaining two.
Well, both offer very good courses, which all the more makes me difficult to choose!
I for one is siding towards the one in Kent Ridge though, because its nearer to my house (err, relatively), and it offers a solution to Problem 3.
Conclusion: I don't know which university to go to. -.-''
Problem 2: Scholarship
Thanks to myself for slacking throught the entire Year 1, I have no S papers, and that leaves me with almost zero chance of getting a scholarship. Only a few do not require S papers, but without S papers is like going to war without a gun. Still can fight with fists, no problem, but others got guns leh. How many bullets can my hands catch?
However, I have still given my name for the infocomm scholarship; shall wait to see what happens first. Signing up for it throws me with more problems.
First, I'm not sure what's their criteria for their first round of short-listing. If its based solely on academics, I can kiss my ass goodbye liaox. If they look at everything, including my CCA records, maybe I still stand a chance. Another good news is that they will be giving out many more scholarships as compared to previous years, meaning more people can eat the pie.
Second, the infocomm scholarship offers only courses related to computing, which is rather narrow and I have not decided if I want to take or not.
Another scholarship I can try for is the DSTA scholarship. S papers are not required, but are preferred (can bang wall liao). A job in DSTA is very stable and dynamic too...but I haven't decided yet.
Then again, after reading G**'s blog, I wonder if I should even take up a scholarship at all. I don't want to be tied down in a company; secretly (no longer anymore haha) I'm playing around with the idea of starting my own business.
Conclusion: I don't know if I should (or should not) take up which scholarship. -.-''
Problem 3: Course to take
After using the elimination method my primary school teacher taught me to handle MCQs, I am left with the School of Computing -.-''. Even within SoC I haven't not decided which course to take. This is only considering the Kent Ridge university. I haven't even look at the others.
Within SoC two courses I can take are Communication and Media, and Computer Science. CM is definitely more interesting, because they offer stuff like Web technologies and creating games (!). CS is damn boring, or at least in my opinion. Its like repeating my computing A level subject and olympiad training! Then again, almost any Tom, Dick and Harry can create web pages now; web design doesn't seem very important nowadays.
Also I'm considering the possibility of taking a double degree (heh heh),maybe in CM and Mathematics. But after reading the Straits Times article on the Kent Ridge campus only offering double degrees to students with excellent A Level results (bang wall again), and that double degree is very hectic work, I have my reservations now.
I have the option of taking a minor in mathematics as SoC offers it, but then, minor doesn't sound very nice =p
I cannot anyhow choose a course leh...cos it will affect what career I can take in future. The reason why I have not decided to take up computing is because I don't want to be a nerdy programmer who does nothing but typing out text 24/7. -.-'' And my poor performance in NOI is giving me second thoughts on whether I can really do a good job in the IT field.
Then again, what other course can I take up in university? Engineering?
Conclusion: I don't know which course I should take. -.-''
Then again, I think before we think about what course we should take in university, or what scholarship we should sign up for, or what career we should dream for, we should first think whether we can survive
1) the bird flu,
2) a war between US and Iran or North Korea, or both,
3) rising sea levels and air temperatures.
****************************
Its interesting to see a sudden increase in non-
No comments:
Post a Comment