Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Week 3 - Tanger Outlets + Chinese New Year

As lessons go into full swing, our weekend trips have wound down a little as assignments, quizzes and readings start to take over our everyday lives. UNC's policy of continuous assessment is quite potent; bad thing is I have a long list of deadlines to meet, but good thing is there is less weightage on final examinations.

Saturday we went to Tanger Outlets, which as the name implied, was a cluster of factory outlets. The Singaporeans were talking about going there ever since we came, and they were very excited that day. It was one of the rare occasions I actually saw guys got all hyped up for shopping.




We reached there around noon; there were few shoppers around.









Didn't take many photos because, well, it was a shopping area. Prices were indeed much lower than outside, although I'm no expert. Besides those above, there were sports shops like Nike and Converse as well. Interestingly there was a Bose shop there too, but there were no factory prices for their headphones and speakers haha.

I got myself 2 pairs of jeans and a T-shirt at the Levi's store for USD$39.57, and a pair of Columbia shoes for USD$63.94. I got those jeans because they were of types and colours which I didn't have before, and the T-shirt for Chinese New Year's sake. I wanted shoes because I had only one pair there and they took a long time to dry after I played basketball in the rain. However, the Columbia shoes needed some convincing on my friends' part, after they told me they both got theirs in Singapore at around S$180-S$200, and that mine was indeed a steal.

While I decided to skip lunch to lessen the pain of spending a hundred bucks there, my friends, on the other hand, easily chalked up a few hundred bucks each during our half day there, which was scary. Not surprisingly, they postponed the gathering time to set off by an hour, and when we met, they were empty handed, because they have already off loaded their purchases in the cars -.-

After the trip, it was a trip to Li Ming's Global Mart, an Asian market to buy our contributions for the Chinese New Year dinner organized by the Singaporeans studying in UNC. It proved a difficult task just to go to the market because we went to the wrong places, twice.



It was a huge market, selling all kinds of Asian food and drinks.



First time I see so many Asians gathered in one place.

There was no time to take photos, because we were awfully late thanks to us setting off late and going to wrong places. By the time we reached the dinner, it was almost 8pm and food were almost gone.



Large group of Singaporeans and non-Singaporeans there. Majority of non-Singaporeans there were UNC students who had went to Singapore for exchange before, or simply friends or roommates of Singaporeans.

Even though the food were gone, we hanged around to chat, until after midnight, quite a feat if you ask me.



At 1am in the morning, we were still hungry since we didn't eat much, so we drove down to a nearby restaurant to buy supper.



The other car. I liked how she stuck half her body out of the window to take photos, but my photo of her taking photos wasn't nice.

I have a feeling this would not be the last time we visit Tanger and Li Ming.

Sunday was spent studying, or trying to. Haha.

No comments: