Saturday, March 14, 2009

narrow and complicated

That's how my mind works sometimes.

I finally solved the problem with my MIO router that had plagued me since day one when I gotten it, by a fairly simple method that had eluded me for so long because, as the title says, my mindset had been too narrow and complicated.

As mentioned before, my desktop would be disconnected from the router, and hence the internet, whenever I played games; any game, with the unexplainable exception of Company of Heroes which I could still play. Also I had no problems with other activities like web surfing and MSN-ing. Even my most bandwidth intensive activity, torrent-ing, worked without any problems.

So I tried all sorts of methods to my LAN card; reading up tons of articles, turning off power saving options, updating drivers, disabling IPv6, etc. I reset my router, tried to bridge it to my Asus router :S, installed Microsoft Network Monitor and monitored my network traffic, then installed a Linksys LAN card, just to describe a few.

Couple of days ago I realised, to my stupidity, that besides LAN cable, I could actually connect my router to my desktop via USB cable too. For a long time all I had in my mind was LAN, LAN, and LAN, because that was the case when I used Starhub before I switched over [and then there was my two years of National Service where it was even more LAN]. And people these days don't connect routers to computers via USB anymore, because it requires installation of the router.

Problem solved, at least for now. Tried half an hour of Left 4 Dead and I'm still connected. And there's one more light blinking furiously on my router now. Ha.

Of course that did not come easy. Apparently there was no installation software to get my desktop to recognise my router, so I had to comb the Internet for a while before I managed to obtain it.

Haha I laugh at myself.

No comments: