Tuesday, March 10, 2009

discoveries of a mountain tortoise: widescreen

Being in a poor family means that I am usually not among the early birds when it comes to playing with new gadgets. I only get to use them when the ones I have finally break down one day.

So, despite widescreen technology already being in the market for years, today was the first time I got to play with one, because my LG 4:3 LCD monitor is still running perfectly well. My father, perhaps out of his mind, came home with a China-branded LCD TV [apparently he bought it because it was cheap -.-']. Happily I borrowed it to hook up to my desktop.

Switching from standard 4:3 resolutions to widescreen 16:9 there is nothing to 'wow' about simply by looking at the Windows desktop [there's just more space] or watching a movie [there's just no more black bars on top and below]. The awesomeness comes in when playing games haha.

Games, unlike those from years ago, support widescreen natively now. Instead of having fat-looking monsters or out-of-proportion buildings and vehicles that arise from using standard resolutions in widescreen monitors, the graphics now turn out correctly.

I tested out Company of Heroes, still one of the favourite games yet.

Standard 4:3


Widescreen 16:9

More space by the sides, and no obese looking soldier!

Standard 4:3

Can only see two buildings =(

Widescreen 16:9

Can now also see my engineer squad busy with their work! =)

As one can see widescreen monitors do not stretch graphics, but really allow players to see more when playing. The screenshots above are resolution-dependent and monitor-independent, so one cannot see standard graphics being stretched in the widescreen TV.

Of course if anyone thinks the extra screen space doesn't seem to help much, that's because its only 19inch wide. Apparently if one wants to get a widescreen, one should get one that's >20inch.

Its a pity my graphics card does not come with High Definition input, otherwise there will be even more fun! Makes me gian to get a widescreen monitor hehehe.

Sorry if this doesn't excite anyone. It excites me lol.

No comments: