Now that orientation is over, this week marks the start of lessons. After two years of National Service its time to hit the books again. Not sure how I am going to fare after two years of brainless activities; hopefully I can get into the mood quickly.
Module bidding went well for me; three modules have already been pre-allocated, leaving space for two modules which I got at 1 point each. 5 modules at 5 points, good start! =D
The bad thing about pre-allocation is that to avoid all the bidding wars I have to accept whatever they give, and so I could not get the four-day school week that I had hoped for. In fact my timetable is screwed up pretty badly haha.
CS1101S Programming Methodology: My first gamble, instead of the more ordinary CS1101. I thought that instead of going through all that I have already learned in JC, perhaps I should go for something that I have not learned before. Scheme promises to be tough, and at first glance I did not understand most of the technical terms in the lesson plan. Haha. Hope my gamble will turn out well.
CS1105 Computing and Society: From the module title, it sounds very much like all the essays that I have written back in junior college. Haha.
CS1231 Discrete Structures: The third module I was pre-allocated, instead of MA1521 Calculus for Computing which I had hoped for. CS1231 is taught by the School in the first semester, and the Maths department in the second semester, and apparently the Maths department teaches the module better.
On the other hand its a good thing that I take my maths module in another semester, because right now I am still undecided on whether I should take a minor in Mathematics, from which I can choose to take MA1102R Calculus instead of MA1521. Now I can gauge where my intelligence level stands first before I make my decision. Haha.
Initially I intended to take two General Education/Singapore Studies modules, but I was afraid I could not outbid the returning students, so I bidded for LSM1302 Genes and Society in the protected Round 1C. I made the correct choice to do so, but I have not mentally prepared myself to take a biology related course in the first semester. Lol.
GEK1506 Heavenly Mathematics: Cultural Astronomy is the last module I bidded for. Taking it out of interest, although as time went by this module became one of the very few that I could bid at 1 point as the bids for other modules started escalating skywards. This module is also the reason why my Tuesdays and Fridays start at 8am haha. The price to pay to conserve my points now.
Finally after days of procrastination I dragged myself to the bookshop opposite my house to buy stationery that has mysteriously gone missing. It had been more than two years since I last stepped into a bookshop! I have always loved shopping in the bookshop, because of the wide variety of things offered, low population density due to the large shop space, the lack of aggressive salespersons, and the nice smell of books haha.
First lecture kicks off tomorrow at 8am! I wish myself good luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment