Saturday, August 08, 2009

my ultimate social experiment

After hearing many horror stories about how one would end up lonely and all in university if one never attended orientation, I decided to sign up, albeit with utmost reluctance, with the hope that I find at least one person to go to lectures and tutorials with, look after each other's things during lunch and dinner, and do projects together.

Unfortunately by the end of orientation, I haven't found any.

Different people are taking different majors; those taking the same majors are taking different modules; and those taking the same modules are taking different lecture groups and tutorials. Therefore I conclude that the chances of us seeing each other again will be rather low.

On the other hand, maybe I never try hard enough. Ha.

Not to say that there was no use attending orientation. In every sense of the word, I did get myself rather 'oriented'. At least I now have a slight sense of direction when navigating around the different places.

The games planned by the School were indeed mild by the university's standards, especially after I saw and heard about orientations by other faculties.

The orientation ended with Rag Day today. My first Rag Day experience was not from the grandstands but from the tent that housed the participants' belongings; for some reason I somehow became involved in the School's float. I would have liked to watch from the grandstands, but staying at the tent had allowed me to catch up with my sleep.

[Reminded me of how my Army Half Marathon experiences were not of those as participants but as organisers. Interesting why I always seem to get the short end of the stick lol.]

Having being involved in computing since secondary school, I have met plenty of like-minded people at different stages of my life. After some time, our paths diverged, and it never occurred to me that we would ever meet again. Even better, it never occurred to me that these different people that I have met, and the different people that these different people have met, would all converge and become friends with each other one day.

Below as follows:

1) A friend, not a close one though, from my CCA in secondary school. Never in same class, went to different junior colleges, and now met again studying in the same School.

2) I have a friend, A, whom I met in my active unit during my National Service. He has a friend B, whom he met during his Basic Military Training days. A, B and I are now in the same School. In addition, B and I have four common friends, C, D, E and F, where C and D were my classmates in secondary school, and E is a good friend of my friend F. B, C, D and E met in their unit during National Service. During orientation, B was in the orientation group where F was the group leader.

3) One of my group leaders who is a friend of A in secondary school.

4) Three seniors, one from my CCA in secondary school and two from two different CCAs in junior college, are now all studying in the School. Now they are friends with each other.

5) This guy in my orientation group who is in the Computing class as my three gay friends in their junior college.

6) This girl in my orientation group who is a friend of the sister of F.

Some statistics should be drawn up next time!

All in all, I consider it a feat that I managed to attend so many days of orientation; felt rather guilty to have skipped two of the days, but I'm not ready for everything yet.

No comments: