Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Last Saturday morning I went to school to help with the filming of Alfas Challenge. It was a workshop to help students do better during interviews when applying for scholarships, and the teacher-in-charge asked Year2 iCOMP Infocomm Club students to film instead of the Year1s so that more Year2s can benefit from the workshop, especially that the rest have to pay 30 bucks for the whole day event.

Someone else doing better in academics should have went instead of me.

Anyway our task was to flim the mock interviews so that participants could review their performance later in the afternoon. It got boring soon afterwards, because it was very repetitive.

I think interviews are not at all a breeze to go through. There's actually a very thin line between being confident and being boastful. Its not easy to even be confident in an interview, firstly because its really very frightening to talk in front of a panel, especially when that simple talk is going to decide your future, and secondly because saying too much makes people think that you are haolian-ing.

So far the most confident person that I have ever come across is still the senior who trained me in competitive programming, and throughout the entire interview only one person came close to him - my batch's student council president.

I guess the only thing I benefitted from the entire workshop was the free food during the tea break and lunch.

Saturday night was spent at Nanyang Junior College, where I attended the Nanyang Film Festival to support a friend, whose boyfriend happened to be the director of all three short films O.O, two in Chinese, one in English. I guess the event was not too bad, considering that this is the first time, though there is alot of room for improvement.

Video is becoming a competitive area for junior colleges. Haha. iCOMP Infocomm Club should organise one too.

Today was National Day celebrations. We were allowed to come in red or white tops, but in the end I wore my uniform instead because I could not find a decent red or white shirt.

Celebrations started at the parade square where several uniformed group students, under the command of a parade commander who seemed to be weaker compared to the Katong Convent counterpart across the canal, marched in holding the National Day and College flags, accomapnied by house committee and their banners.

I was surprised to see my former Maths teacher donning the SCDF uniform, standing on the podium saying National Day related stuff which I think I have heard a thousand times before. I didn't know he was from the SCDF.

Celebrations was quite a letdown. There was obviously a lack in coordination, and the sound system once again disappointed us, because no one bothered to fix it. Victorians managed to reduce some of the awkwardness by trying to sing loudly during the songs and laugh and clap as much as possible during the two videos. I should say that the items put up were still not bad if one had paid close attention to it. I liked the harmonica band. The students council has to improve.

Went home facing the four walls after we were dismissed, because no one wanted to. I wonder why people like to go home so much. Maybe its just me.

On my way home I spotted AHS people all over the Marine Parade area. According to my friend they had their 2.4km run today.

Wow. So what happened to their National Day celebrations? Is that another ingenious idea that the new principal came up with to reduce the number of holidays they have so they can mug more?

No comments: