Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Niagara Falls

Due to the lack of time and overwhelming school work during the semester, our plans for the rest of the East Coast was a total mess; we spent about a day in New York City, then three days at Niagara Falls, back to NYC for about a week, then to Boston, Salem and Plymouth for a few days, and back to NYC one day before we returned to Singapore. The good thing that came out of this mess was that the hostel we stayed at NYC had luggage storage service, so we could keep our luggages with them while we travelled to other places. Without the service we would have died from all the weight.

Niagara Falls was on my to-go list way before I came to the US; photos and reviews made it sound like a place I could not miss. What I didn't realise was that Niagara Falls was a nine hour bus ride away; I had the impression that it wasn't too far from New York City, because they were in the same state. I was wrong haha.

First shot! Right at the foreground here is the American Falls, one of three falls that make up Niagara.
The Yosemite Falls at Yosemite National Park was the first waterfall I saw in the United States, and the American Falls there at Niagara Falls was the second. Having seen Yosemite Falls I had high expectations of Niagara Falls, but the falls there turned out a little different. They were not as 'powerful' as those at Yosemite, probably because they were not as tall, but Niagara Falls had its own charm.

Like many other waterfronts, seagulls were present in large numbers.
The small one here is known as the Bridal Veil Falls, same name as the one at Yosemite.
Located a short distance away was the Horseshoe Falls.
On a bridge crossing over to the Three Sisters Island. Played with long exposure shots.
Playing with long exposure shots II.
Second day morning we were up at the Observatory. The boat below was the Maid of the Mists which we were going to take, and the bridge is the Friendship Bridge that connects US and Canada.
Tried a panorama shot here, but nothing impressive.
View of all three falls.
American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls from on-board the Maid of the Mist. As it turned out, the raincoat was really needed. Strong winds blew plenty of mist at us.
The Horseshoe Falls. The boat went quite near to it, and the mists really made us wet, and it was impossible to take any photos in it.
We climbed some stairs to get nearer to the American Falls, but the highlight became the double rainbow instead.
After that we went on to the Cave of the Winds. The nearest point to the falls was said to be the same as experiencing an hurricane. I guessed it was true; the winds were really, very, strong and we became really wet.
We went on a little hike, and we reached the Whirlpool State Park. Pictured is the Niagara Whirlpool, where water actually flowed backwards and also in a spinning motion.
As night approached the Falls lighted up, and there was fireworks too. Sadly most of my photos turned out blurred.
On the last day before we headed back to New York, I went to the Niagara Aquarium.
My friend went over to the Canadian side of the Falls, while I stayed at the US side, because I was using a non biometric passport. There were plenty of complications with regards to non biometric passport holders exiting and entering the US again, so to play safe I decided not to follow.

Niagara Falls was a fantastic place; I guess all places with bodies of water will be fantastic.

No comments: