Mini makeover of my house is complete!
Took one day to change the windows in the living room, three bedrooms and two toilets, and two days to give all the rooms a new coat of paint.
My parents were initially deciding if there was a need to install windows grilles, given that we had already grown up, but in the end they were talked into installing them, so that there would be 'no need to close the window panes when friends and relatives bring their kids over'.
I wanted to say we don't receive many visitors anyway, but never mind.
My mother opted for horizontal grilles, so that we could hang clothes and stuff on them, but didn't want the squarish grilles [with both horizontal and vertical, which I think is the norm now] because they would be a bitch to clean.
The end result looked a little bit like a prison window, and I think the windows would have looked great without any grilles at all, just the panes. But maybe thats just because I have never seen horizontal grilles before.
On the plus side, the grilles in the living room are made up of six separate pieces, each being one 'window unit', while the original grilles were three pieces of two 'window units' each. Also, the new window panes come fixed on three rails instead of the original two. Simply said, we can now push all the window panes and grilles to both ends, creating a very big open space of four 'window units' in between, enough for four people to jump off the building hand in hand next to each other.
The windows panes in the living room are dark enough to block out plenty of sunlight, which is especially important for my house given that it faces the South-West direction, but the downside is that I can never use the heavily patterned panes to look at solar eclipses anymore.
Instead of pure white, which had been the colour of our walls for the past twenty over years, a slight hint of green was chosen this time. The walls ended up nice; the colour gives a slight sense of comfort, but the green is so pale that the walls look totally white under sunlight and strong lighting.
While still in the mood of makeovers I decided to give my beloved desktop a makeover as well. I took out every single key on my keyboard and washed the plastic board, dismantled my mouse and cleaned the gaps, and wiped every single cable that ran in and out of it. Did some cable management too when I assembled everything back today so it looks neater. Occupational hazard from my vocation in National Service haha. It still looks messy to the untrained eye, but its really neater now. Haha.
I'm more worried about the heat issues. The computer table has its back against a wall, and I have the CPU, external hard disk, modem and monitor giving off heat all at the same time, with the living room fan and Mother Nature as the only sources of wind. Hope they won't break down so early.
Spent the rest of the time cleaning up the entire house from the outrageous amounts of dust and dried paint. Swept, thrown, mopped, wiped, vacuumed, washed. Repeat. And repeat. And repeat.
There's still plenty of things yet to be thrown away; like an old fridge, an old washing machine, and old curtains. I have a feeling they are going to stay with us at least for the time being.
Looks like they haven't lost their sense of fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment