Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Nacht der Untoten

The fifth installment of the Call of Duty series has well lived up to the reputation it has built up over the years, both the good and the bad! Haha.

I think this game simulated war really well; even though the game was still rather linear, there were still some instances where I was left wondering where I should go or what I should do. When I was told to shoot enemy tanks down, they rained so many shells all over me that kicked up so much dirt, I could not see where the tanks were. Explosions would cause the ground to shake so much that 'I' as a sniper could not aim properly.

Then there were the @#$%! Japanese soldiers who @#$%! killed me so many times from behind; because their bayonets were already into 'me' before I could press the 'V' button.

Banzai~~~! [Or maybe I'm too slow haha.]

Plotwise the game very well brought out the might of the Soviets [just like the Soviet music of Red Alert 3]; the constant yells to charge at the enemy reflected the 人海战术 the Soviets employed to fight against the Nazis.

Bad points wise, just like the previous games, it was still way too short, despite having a two-year development cycle. I completed the game in less than a day; too short to be fully immersed into the story haha. Also there were a couple of bugs that resulted in me having to restart the level.

Whereas COD5 is no doubt a great and fun game, I don't find COD5 a better game than the previous one; I put both at the same level.

Thinking about it, the better a game is created, the higher the expectations the fans will have with regards to the next one. COD4 and 5 has raised the bar very high, which makes one wonder how far the two developers can reach and surpass this bar in future games.

I just reached a new level in gaming today! While I was at the game the house telephone just next to me rang and I was unaware of it, while my brother heard it from inside his room; and I had no idea my brother had left the house until almost an hour later.

Two games down, four more to go!

No comments: