Friday, August 08, 2008

等下一个天亮

I think I need to take back my words a little. It still holds true that anything beats staying in unit, but acting as enemy for battalion's full troop exercise seemed to erase a little good out of it. [Now that I think back, I was still under my unit when I went outfield!]

It all started when the other company sent most of their personnel to either a bike course or pack goodie bags for Army's Half Marathon, yet still agreed to be the enemy for the battalion, so they decided to send in the signallers and the HQ personnel, people who have not done fire and movement since after Basic Military Training.

Well maybe they did not have the option to say no to be the enemy, but like what my mother used to scold me and my brother, 没有这么大的屁股,就不要穿这么大条的裤子。

Many around me claimed being an enemy was slack, 'just sit there wait for them to find you'. But in last week's outfield perhaps I got one of the worse deals when I was assigned a machine gunner, so I had to walk around carrying [and firing] one. For all three days we woke up every morning between 0200 to 0400 to move out, in order to get ready before our 'enemy' came. And we definitely did not just sit there and wait for them to find us.

Worst of all was how they were out to take advantage of us. Like what my friends said, "makan until very full, dabao somemore".

The best comment I heard was at the end of the exercise, when the encik ordered:

"Signallers! Load up the signal sets on the tonner!"

Its like when you move house, and you call for a technician from the TV maker to help you put the TV up the truck.

Now that its over I'm actually half-glad I am not going to Taiwan, because those who are going will be taking orders from that same people from that same company.

Hurray for the coming week! Off on Monday because National Day fell on a Saturday, going out for road marshalling at Marina on Wednesday, and off on Thursday and Friday!

In one of the neatest of those e-mails I have received:

BRITISH NATIONAL LOTTERY

You won the sum of £1000,000.00 GBP in Our Anual Yearly Online Programm. For claims, contact: Mr. Chris Brown
Provide the Following Information
1:Full Name
2:Country
3:Home Address
4:Sex
5:Age
6ccupation

Regards

No comments: