Tuesday, February 05, 2008

"thank you very much"

Of course the trip was not entirely a smooth sailing one. On the day I flew I realised, only at the airport, that I was a passport holder and not on the nominal roll. Well I did went for the briefing, but somehow I just missed the fact that I were to use my passport. Complacency set in as well because I assumed all trips under the name of the organisation were by nominal roll, so I didn't ask.

Joining me was a fellow colleague, who asked his parents to rush it down for him. Me? My passport has already expired, so no use rushing it down.

In the end I got through after a barrage of scoldings.

The problem with travelling with trainees from a training institute was that they treated everyone like kids. I drew many comparisons with my trip last November, where my identity was as a personnel belonging to my 'company'. And I should say I don't like people seeing me as a kid. Haha.

Let's see:
1) No jeans, only pants at the airport.[There was not a problem to me; old fashioned me was already wearing pants, but I, together with everyone else, wondered why not. Jeans were allowed for my November trip.]
2) No PT shoes, only dress shoes. [That was a problem, because it meant we had to bring along an additional pair of shoes. Again, why not?]
3) Safekeeping of disembarkation forms and 11 "bravo"s [no such thing for my November trip; we were told to keep ourselves.]
4) Haircut before going for R&R [what the hell, even us the attached personnel had to do so, no such thing during my November trip. Luckily the barbers did not do a bad job.]
5) Kitbaginspectionforreturntrip, before going for R&R [I wonder why there was a need for that when we are coming home. No such thing for November trip]
6) Rollcallat2359, and no movement out after that. [Although some people ignored that, going to a nightclub till the wee hours of the morning. No such thing for November trip.]
7) Vehicles were at our airport to take the trainees' kitbags back to camp for them, after we came home. [Now this was one move I wouldn't have complained about. I had to lug my kitbag home.]

After so many weeks on regimentation the trainees were obviously used to it. Returning home on early Sunday morning they were over the moon upon hearing that they were to report back only on the following day, on Monday morning.

Me? I return next Monday. To be frank I will be sulking if I am told to return the same day as them. Hahaha.

Well alright through this trip I saw for myself what kind of shit they had to go through [like carrying a backpack almost the weight of a human and walking 200m upslope, 81 steps upwards, and another 50m upslope, on a very, very steep hill where a missed footing will guarantee a return trip inside a coffin, or sleeping out in the field with freezing temperatures and non stop rain], and I salute them for their effort put in. Good job!

On my previous trip I also returned on an early Sunday morning, and after a short sleep I was on my way to my secondary school for its open house. This time, after a short sleep I met up with my secondary two classmates and teacher at lunch.

A close link somewhere between my alma mater and my arrival to Singapore. -.-

A good rest before returning after Lunar New Year; after three weeks away I hope I can get in sync with normal life soon.

No comments: