Yay!
After almost a day of dirty work, Ubuntu 7.10, or Gutsy Gibbon, is finally running perfectly on this computer!
Since the day I got this Pentium D I have wanted to install Linux on it, but when I tried 6.10, or Edgy Eft, many months back, it stumped me with weird errors, which I suspected had something to do with my SATA hard disk, but I had no idea how to solve it.
Today I got the urge to try again, so I downloaded Gutsy Gibbon, burnt it on a CD, and installed it. Yay it booted into the desktop; the SATA error was gone!
But it was not a smooth sailing trip. For unknown reasons my network adaptor could not work. Ubuntu detected it fine, but it could not be activated, and the light on the router did not light up.
Combed through one entire night of forums and articles, tried countless ways, switched between Vista and Ubuntu a million times (because I could not surf the net on Ubuntu), but could not get it to work.
Just as I was about to give up, it miraclously came online. I have no idea why, although I suspect its because of the update to the latest drivers.
There's still alot to be done, but that's all for tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment