Saturday, October 28, 2006

I was *trying* to study when I was interrupted by the blaring sirens from the Home Team (I did not know which vehicle it belonged to then). Because my neighbourhood has always been peaceful and the past few times the Home Team came they were all prank calls, I did not bother to look out of the window.

Later as I was brewing a nice hot cup of thick coffee (fine. It was a3-1 coffee bag.) I glanced out of the window to see an ambulance and a fire truck coming in. Very closely behind were two police cars. Taking note of the sirens earlier on, I have never seen so many Home Team vehicles turning into the carpark before.

Then two more civil defence vehicles came in. And people were starting to gather. W

My mum decided that something must be happening, and because the action happened out of view from our kitchen window, my mum went down to take a look. I did not want to appear as kaypoh, so I declined to follow her down.

Curiosity kills the cat, in the end I decided to be a good citizen of Singapore and show my concern for my neighbours, so I went down too. Heh.

Down at the scene an area has been cordoned off by the police, and I counted a grand total of 11 Home Team vehicles parked everywhere. A..don't know what's that called, the big thing which they inflate to break falls that thing (a very big inflatable squarish tilam?), was present.

So I found my mother and was told that some middle-aged Malay man wanted to jump down from his 4th storey bedroom. The guy was already gone when I reached there, guess he was already saved.

Note I did not say he wanted to commit suicide, because I don't know the reason behind his attempt to jump down. He may have wanted to commit suicide, but he may also had been locked inside the bedroom by a malfunctioned door and there's a screaming kettle outside, so he wanted to get over to the other room through the window. That I will never know.

Once the 'drama' was over some people, my mum included, went home, while I stayed to see if I can see who the guy was (I'm concerned!). But I went home when the ambulance went off empty.

That quite gave me an idea what my friends posted to the Home Team for National Service will be learning to do. People say NS with the Home Team is slack, but they are the key people in saving these people in distress, aren't they?

No comments: