Tuesday, October 13, 2009

of markets

Before the wet market opposite my house moved into the present building, it was situated beside its current location. I used to follow my mother to the market early in the morning, and I liked the place.

The wet market was, literally, wet. To keep the raw food fresh ice was needed, so ice water was everywhere, and people's feet carried the water all around the floors of the market. Then there was also the little pails of water to wash your hands after you have picked out the fish you wanted.

The market was a very friendly place; the 酿豆腐 auntie, the fishmonger, and the vegetable seller were the ones I had the most impressions on. And the many neighbours too. In short, every corner my mother turned into she was bound to run into someone she knew, resulting in the large number of 'uncles' and 'aunties' I had to call each time.

The whole morning shopping experience did not just end at the wet market. After buying the raw food for the day's cooking, there would be the buying of the breakfast at the various kopitiams. Which meant a whole new round of 'uncles' and 'aunties' to call.

I had only been to the 'new' wet market once after it moved into the new building, and it was a long time ago. From what I remembered, the cosy feeling was missing a little, perhaps because the place was bigger, but at least, the sellers were the same, and the friendliness was still there.

Can supermarkets fit into this 'morning shopping experience'? I'm not quite sure. At the very least, I don't think I can find the same hustle and bustle in wet markets, in supermarkets. Supermarkets are far too quiet. Wet markets make you feel out of the world because they are so darn noisy and crowded at 7am in the morning.

Well the wet market does have its shortcomings. Most are open only in the morning, while supermarkets are there the whole day, but I think supermarkets and wet markets can do well on their own without eating into each other. My personal opinion is that supermarkets, wet markets and the coffee shops are all essential components in the 'heartlands' model.

While on the topic of markets, I thought of another type of market, now that one is ongoing opposite my house as well - the night market, or the pasar malam.

Back when I was a kid, pasar malams were major events. They were there only for three nights, and each night was a 'PC Show', with loud music, loud noises, and huge crowds.

Now? A pasar malam can run for one entire week without anyone noticing if he doesn't look out of the window.

Very soon Singapore will become a lifeless state.

No comments: