Saturday, September 29, 2007

Unfortunately I could not hold on to the momentum; lost the drive to log in and navigate all the way here to type something. Then again, I'm pretty sure no one is interested in what time I wake up every morning, what food I have for lunch, or how many bags of trash I throw on a particular day.

Two weeks ago a staff (sergeant) broke into a fit of anger, apparently because someone used a stamp(or chop) and stamped(or chopped) three times on his table, and damaged something as well. The entire company was gathered in the office so he could show everyone the 'damage'. I was on a course at another camp then, so I didn't know anything until I came back in the evening. As no one admitted to 'vandalising' his table, the entire company had their nights off forfeited until the person steps out.

To most of us he is kicking up a big fuss over it, but perhaps what seems like a minor incident to us may be a major one to him. We always tend to assume everyone feels and thinks the same way as ourselves [read: self-centered]. A rich guy finds it normal to spend 11 bucks on a meal, but a poor man doesn't necessarily find it normal too. Its always this lack of understanding and accommodation towards others that causes all the unnecessary conflicts to arise.

If everyone cared and nobody cried
If everyone loved and nobody lied
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride
Then we'd see the day when nobody died


Luxury items are a huge temptation. I have, for a long time, resisted them, constantly reminding myself my financial status is different from the majority out there, but now I am craving badly for a Playstation Portable. I have always hoped that people be less greedy for money, and believed that people should work for their interests and not for the money, but now I begin to see that it will be impossible. Money makes the world go round; I don't think there is anyone in this world who list washing toliets and sweeping roads as his hobbies.

[I badly want to ask why there are people who spend billions of dollars everyday on luxurious cars and properties, while there are many out there who struggle to scrape together enough food to feed themselves each day, but seeing the amount of money I have spent on this very computer I am typing on now, I think I have no rights to question them.]

So instead, my question should be, how much is considered enough?

My friends were discussing about multi-level marketing not too long ago, about how their friends 'invested' lump sums of money in MLM companies. They got back their capitals after many months, along with [very] significant amounts of profits. It does sound very tempting with all the money involved, but a strong smell of scam lingers. There is a long thread in the forums, and interestingly there are people who stand by this scheme.

Personally I prefer to enjoy the money I earned with my two hands, and not by throwing money into a bottomless well, then sit there and pray everyday that it will throw [more] money back to you.

Ok I have not answered the question I raised. I'm quite unsure myself actually, so meanwhile as I try to find out, my answer will be:

知足,知足!

No comments: