I'm reading alot more after prelims than I do before prelims. Haha.
For the past 4 days, I have been reading up on the Linux filesystem, the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, from Wikipedia and a 52-page PDF document taken from a website. I was really opening up a can on worms, for the more I read, the more I encounter terms that I do not understand.
And while I am making some headway understanding how Linux works, I am beginning to get confused over how Windows work. -.-'' Or maybe I'm just comparing an apple to an orange.
I also read up Wikipedia on how the Graphics User Interface works, having confused over the terms like "X Window System" and "GNOME". Now that I read it, I realise that GUI is not a simple case of just "graphifying" all the commands sent to the computer. A windowing system makes everything appear as windows on screens, while a separate windowing manager decides all the colouring, the font, the size, and even the iconifying of windows when one presses ALT-F4.
And so, a windowing system like X + a windowing manager like Metacity + text editor, calculator, calendar, games etc = a desktop environment like GNOME.
Also, there seems to be remote access in windowing systems, which I cannot fully comprehend yet.
Finally after months of procrastination, I bought a Bluetooth adaptor! For connecting my X680 to my computer. It worked well with my Windows XP, but not with Linux. The gnome opex server refuses to start. =(
On a sidenote, I met my sec 3/4 geography teacher while going home yesterday! Quite a surprise that she still remembered me and my name. She called out to me before I realise she was there. Apparently she had just went for some exhibition on Saudi Arabia culture. Showed me some phtotos she took there, mostly artifacts done by artists there, and stuffed a bunch of souvenirs in my hands, even though those were for her students. "Ex-student also can la!" so says her.
I have been thinking of having a blog where editing and publishing can be done on the same page, or at least no needing to go through so many pages. I seemed to have found a solution in Mediawiki, the engine that powers all the wiki sites. Its kind of tedious, however, given that I have forgotten all the PHP and mysql that had once propelled me to an A for computing (Heh.).
Sometimes I wonder why I give myself so much trouble, when I can be content living with Windows and Blogger and MSN.
No comments:
Post a Comment