Sunday, April 24, 2011

GE2011

I have already quite made up my mind on who to vote for, but I still hope I will be able to spare some time to go down and listen to the rallies.

Pardon the political apathy on my part, while I know that Group Representation Constituencies, or GRCs, must be formed such that one of the candidates must be from a minority community, it was only recently that I realised that the ruling does not mean the minority candidate in each GRC can come from any of the minority communities; election rules actually dictate which GRCs must have their minority candidates from which minority community. For example, for GRCs like Tampines, Aljunied and Marine Parade, the minority candidate must be a Malay, while for GRCs like Nee Soon, Ang Mo Kio and Holland-Bukit Timah, the minority candidate must be an Indian or from other minority communities.

The Government has always maintained that the GRC scheme is to ensure minority representation in Parliament, but I wonder why can't the Government apply the same rules without the GRC scheme, ie, there are only single seat wards, and have rules to govern which seats must be contested by candidates from which minority communities.

I'm still pissed at the kind of carrots the incumbent tangled at the residents of my estate: a drop off porch at my [and some other] void deck, more sheltered walkways, a jogging path and some exercise station right in front of my flat, and landscaping works at the traffic light near my house. I felt cheap.

I recall my Secondary 2 Higher Chinese teacher asking my class back then, if 浜崎 歩 and Lee Kuan Yew both stand for elections, who will the younger generation vote for? With the whole hype surrounding Nicole Seah recently, we might just have an answer soon.

No comments: